Sugar substitutes have long been used as a way of losing weight. If you have used them, you may have noticed results that are the opposite of what you expected. The truth is that these sugar substitutes do not help in weight loss at all. Instead, they make you gain weight. You may wonder how sugar substitutes are making you fat and yet they do not contain any calories. The answer lies in how they work.
Sugar substitutes – how they work?
Research has shown that if you use sugar substitutes instead of sugar, you will end up overeating. This means that you will consume more calories and gain more weight. Experiments were carried out at Purdue University where one group of rats were fed with yogurt sweetened with saccharin while the other group were fed with yogurt sweetened with glucose. The rats which were fed on saccharin-sweetened yogurt gained more weight.
Through this study, scientists concluded that your responses to food that are beyond your control. They are automatic and conditioned. Naturally, when you eat something that is sweet, you will automatically believe that you are taking in a lot of calories. However, when you use sugar substitutes, the calorie link is disrupted and more often than not, you will eat more to cater for the calorie deficit. One thing you can do is to add good appetite suppressant like Phen375 (visit official website)
What to use for a healthy diet
In short sugar substitutes can not help you in your quest to lose weight.
On the other hand, if you carefully include sugar in your budget of total daily carbohydrate intake, you can effectively lose weight. This is because current studies show that the rate at which sugar metabolizes is the same as that of other carbohydrates. Furthermore, sugar is more satisfying than artificial sweeteners.
Natural sugar substitutes and how they can be beneficial to weight loss
There are good natural sugar substitutes that can help you lose weight. Apart from being calorie-free, they are sweeter than sugar. You will therefore require a small amount of natural sugar substitutes to sweeten your food. Among the best are Stevia, Xylitol, Luo Han Guo, date sugar, and Yacon syrup
- Stevia is a natural sugar substitute that is many times sweeter than sugar.It neither has calories nor glycemic index. It is has widely been used in South America, Japan and Europe for years. It does not affect your sugar levels and is therefore suitable for you if you are a diabetic. You can use it for cooking or baking. You will lose weight with stevia without compromising on the sweetness of your food.
- Luo han guo is another good natural sugar substitute. It is extracted from Chinese fruits. The sweetener is calorie-free but still contains the nutrients from the fruits. Apart from helping you lose weight, it will also treat any gastrointestinal or respiratory tract problems.
- Xylitol has previously been used as a natural sweetener in Germany since the late 19th century. The sugar substitute is effective for weight loss as it does not require insulin for its metabolism. It is usually extracted from corn cobs, fruits and vegetables.
- Date sugar which is made from dehydrated dates is another ideal natural sugar substitute for you if you are looking to lose weight. It is effective because it does not contain any calories, and in addition, it contains fiber from the dates which aids in weight loss. Since it does not dissolve well, you should use it for baking and not in drinks.
- If you are a vegan, the best natural sweetener for you is the Yacon syrup. It is extracted from the yacon plant roots. It has no glycemic index and is also calorie-free. It is ideal for your vegan recipes. You will lose weight as you enjoy he sweetness of your food.
These natural sweeteners help you in cutting down on the calories that you would otherwise have consumed with your sugar. If you want to cut down on calories from other foods as well, you can add about ten drops of any substitute to a glass of drinking water. Taking this water approximately twenty minutes before eating your meal will make you eat less food.
Having known how sugar substitutes are making you fat, you can now make an informed choice. Just add these natural sweeteners to your drinks to drastically reduce your cravings for sweets, soda and fatty foods which are culprits for weight gain. You can do this without the fear of becoming fat.